Chapter 9: Killing of Nishumbha
1. Rajo Uvacha:-
Vichithramidhamaakhyatham bhagawan bhawatha mama,
Devyascharitha mahatmyam raktha bheeja vadhasritham.
The king told:-
Hey god like sage, You have told me till now the strange story of the great Goddess which includes the killing of Raktha Bheeja.
2. Bhooyaschechamyaham srothum raktha bheejenipathithe,
Chakara shumbho yath karma nishumbaschthi kopana.
We wish to hear the story of what the angry Shumbha and Nishumbha did when Raktha Bheeja was killed.
3. Rishir Uvacha:-
Chakara kopa mathulam raktha bheeje nipathithe,
Shumbhasuro nishumbhascha hatheshwanyeshu chaahave.
The sage told:-
When Raktha Bheeja fell in the war, and also when other asuras were killed, Shumbha and Nishumba got unmatchable anger.
4. Hanyamanam maha sainyam vilokyaa marsha mudhwahan,
Abhyadawn nishumbho Adha mukhyaya asura senaya.
Afterwards Nishumbha seeing that great part of his army has been killed, became very angry and with his Asura army marched towards the Goddess for war.
5. Tasyagathasthadha prushte parsvyaoscha mahasura,
Sadashtoushtaputa krudha hanthum devi mupayayu.
In front and behind him, ran several great asuras for killing the Goddess with biting lips.
6. Ajagama maha veerya Shumbho api swabalair vrutha,
Nihanthum chandikam kopath kruthwa yudham mathrubhi.
That great valorous Shumbha surrounded by his great army fought with the seven mother goddesses and because of anger came to kill Goddess Chandika.
7. Tatho yudhamathee vaasi devyo Shumbha Nishumbhayo,
Sarvashamathivogram meghayoriva varshatha.
Then Shumbha and Nishumbha raining arrows like two raining clouds began a big war with the goddess.
8. Chichedasthamcharamsthabhyam chandika swasarolkkarai.
Thadayamasa changeshu sasthroughaira sureswarou.
That goddess cut off all the arrows sent by both of them and also punished them severely by arrows and other weapons.
9. Nishumbho nishitham gadgam charma chaadhaya suprabham,
Athadayan moordhini simham devya vahanamuthamam.
Nishumbha took a sharp sword and shield and hit at the forehead of the great steed of the goddess.
10. Thadithe vahane devi kshuraprenasimuthamam,
Nishumbhasyashu chichedha charma chapyashta chandrakam.
Seeing her steed (, the lion) was hurt, that goddess with an arrow broke the Nishumbha’s special sword and shield in which eight moons were drawn.
11. Chinne charmani gadge cha shakthim chikshepa so asura,
Thamapyasya dwidhachakre chakrenabhimukhagathaam.
Seeing that he lost his sword and shield, Nishumbha opposed her with a spear. The goddess cut it off with her holy wheel.
12. Kopamadhmatho Nishumbho adha soolam jagraha dhanava,
Ayantham mushtipathena devi tachapyachoornayath.
Then Nishumbha who was shining because of his anger threw the trident against her and she powdered it in to pieces by her fist itself.
13. Aavidhyadha gadaam so api chikshepa chandikaam prathi,
Saapi devya trishulena bhinna basmathwamagadha.
Afterwards he rotated his mace and threw it in the direction of the goddess and that mace was broken by the trident of the goddess and turned in to ashes.
14. Thatha parasu hastham thamayantham daithyapungavam,
Aahathya devi banau ghairapathayatha bhoothale.
Then the Asura came with an axe towards the Goddess and she felled him to the ground by her arrows.
15. Tasminnipathithe bhoomou Nishumbhe Bheema Vikrame,
Braharyatheeva samkrudha prayayou Yodhumambhikam.
Seeing that his greatly valorous brother Nishumbha has fallen on the ground, Shumbha went for fighting with the Goddess with great anger.
16. Sa radhasthadh atyuchair ugrageetha paramayudhai,
Bhujai ashatabir athulyair vyapyasesham bhabou nabha.
Then riding on a charriot and armed with several specialised weapons he appeared to have spread through out the sky using his eight hands.
17. Thamayantham samalokhya devi sankhamavadhyath,
Jyasabdham danushchakaratheeva dussaham.
That goddess seeing him coming, blew her conch and twanged her bow string and produced a sound which was intolerable.
18. Poorayamasa kakubho nija gandaswanena cha,
Samastha daithya sainyanam thejo vadha vidhayina.
She filled all the directions with the sound of her bell, which was capable of destroying the valour of all the asuras.
19. Thatha simho mahanadhau sthyajithebha maha madhai,
Poorayamasa gaganam gaam thadopadhiso dasa.
Afterwards that lion with a big roar capable of taming the enthusiasm of elephants filled the ten directions as well as the sky and the earth.
20. Thatha kali samuthpathya gaganam kshmamathadayath,
Karabhyam thanninadhena prak swanasthe thirohitha.
Then Chandika jumped up the sky and beat the earth with her hands and this sound made all the other previous sounds paler.
21. Attattahasamashivam shivadhoothi chakara ha,
Thai shabhdair asuraasthresu Shumbha kopam parama yayaou.
Then Goddess Shivadhoothi laughed very loudly with a horrifying sound and because of that sound the asuras were fear struck and Shumbha became very angry.
22. Durathmasthishta thishtethi vyajaharambika yadha,
Thadha jayethya abhihatham devair akasa samsthithai.
When the goddess cried, “Hey bad one stop, stop,” the devas who were standing in the sky shouted, “Victory, victory. ”
23. Shumbhonagathya ya shakthirmuktha jwalathi bheeshana,
aayanthi vahni kootabha sa nirastha maholkhaya.
That glittering spear which was thrown by Shumbha, after he went near her progressed like a fire ball but was destroyed by the Goddess using her weapon called “Maholkha”. (This is a great spear of the Goddess with great glittering light. )
24. Simha nadena Shumbhasya vyaptham loka tryantharam,
Nirghatha niswano ghoro jitha wan avanipathe.
Hey king the lion like roar of Shumbha spread throughout the three worlds and was greater in intensity than a terrible thunder.
25. Shumbha mukthan saran devi shumbhasthath prahithan saran,
Chichedha swa sarair ugrai sathasodha sahasrasa.
Then the arrows send by Shumbha and the arrows sent by the Goddess were cut using their arrows in hundreds and thousands by the Goddess and Shumbha respectively.
26. Thatha saa chandika krudha soolena jagana thaam,
Sa thadabi hatho bhoomou moorchitho nipapatha ha.
Then that Chandika with great anger hit Shumbha with her spear and he fainted and fell on the battle ground.
27. Thatho Nishbha samprapya chetanamatha karmuka,
Aajagana sarair devim kaleem kesarinam thadha.
At this time Nishumbha woke up from his faint and took his bows and punished the Goddess and her lion with his arrows. (See sloka 14 above)
28. Punascha kruthwa bahunanayutam dhanujeswara,
Chakrayuthena dhithijachadayamasa Chandikam.
By his magical powers, that lords of Asuras made ten thousand hands to him and covered the goddess with ten thousand wheels.
29. Thatho Bhagawathi krudha durga durgarthi nasini,
Chichedha thani chakrani swa sarai sayakamscha thaan.
Afterwards that Goddess Chandika who killed bad souls, became very angry and cut off all those wheels and arrows.
30. Thatho Nishumbho vegena gadha maadhaya chandikam,
Abhyadhavatha vai hanthum daithya sena samavrutha.
Then Nishumbha surrounded by the Asura army, took the mace marched to attack the goddess.
31. Thasyapathatha evasu gadham chichedha Chandika,
Gadgena shitha dharena sa cha soolam samadhadhe.
Even while he was approaching, goddess Chandika cut off his mace and then he armed himself with a spear.
32. Soolahastham samayantham nishumbhamamarardhanam,
Hrudhi vivyadha soolena vega vidhena chandika.
That Goddess punished Nishumbha who was the tormentor of devas and who was armed with a spear by throwing another spear at him.
33. Binnasya tasya soolena hrudhaya nissrutho apara,
Mahabalo maha veeryasthishtehi purusho vadan.
From Nishumbha, whose chest was torn, rose another very strong and very valorous man shouting, “stop, stop. ”(We should assume here that this man is his soul. )
34. Thasya nishkramatho devi prahasya swanavathatha,
Sira chichedha gadgena thatho asavapathath bhuvi.
Seeing this the Goddess laughed loudly and cut off his head by her sword and he fell on the ground.
35. Thasya simhascha Khadhogra damshtra kshunna shirodharan,
Asuram sthaam thadha kali shivadhoothi thadha aparan.
Then that lion ate several asuras whose neck was broken by its horrible teeth and Chamunda and Shivadhoothi also ate some more asuras.
36. Kaumari shakthi nirbhinna kechinnesur maha sura,
Brahmani mandhrapoothena thoyenanye nirakrutha.
Some great asuras died being broken by the spear of Kaumari and some others were benumbed by the holy water sprinkled by Brahmani.
37. Maheswari trishoolena bhinna pethur sthadha apare,
Varahi thunda gathena kechit choorneekrutha bhuvi.
Similarly many asuras fell torn by the trident of Maheswari and some by the dash of the face of Varahi.
38. Gandam gandam cha chakrena vaishnavya dhanava krutha,
Vajrena chaindre hasthagra vimukthena thadha apare.
Some were cut in to pieces after pieces by the holy wheel of Vaishnavi and others by the Vajrayudha thrown at them from the hands of Indri.
39. Kechidwinesoorasura kechith nashata maha havath,
Bakshithaschapare kali shiva dhoothi, mrugathipai.
Some asuras were destroyed in the great battle, some ran away and some of them were eaten by Kali and Shivadhoothi.
Ithi Markandeya purane savarnike manwanthare,
Nishmbha vadho Nama,
This is the ninth chapter in Devi Mahatmya dealing with the killing of Nishumbha Occurring in the Savarnika period of Markandeya Purana
Chapter 10: Killing of Shumbha
1. Rishir Uvacha:-
Nishumbham nihatham drushtwa bratharam pranasammitham,
Hanyamanam balanchaiva Shumbha krudha abraveedvacha.
The sage told:-
Seeing that his solu like brother was killed as also his army, Shumbha became very angry and told.
2. Balavale pa dushte, thwam maa durge, Garvamavaha,
Anyasam balamasrithya yudhyase yathi manani.
Hey Durga, Hey bad lady, you should not be proud of your strength for You have fought this war with the help of others and are depending on their strength.
Ekaivaham jagathyathra dwithiya kaa mamaa para,
Pasyaitha dushta, mayyeva visanthyo madvibhuthaya.
The goddess told:-
In this world, I only am and where is the second. Please see that all these people enter within me.
4. Thatha samasthastha devyo brahmani pramukhalayam,
Thasya devyasthanou jagmur ekaivasee thadambika.
Afterwards all the goddesses like Brahmani became one with the body of goddess Chandika and the goddess became alone.
5. Devi uvacha:-
Aham vibhoothya bahubhiriha roopair yathasthadha,
Tatsamhrutham mayaikeva thishtamyajou sthidhirobhava.
The goddess told:-
In this battlefield I assumed many forms due to my innate power and now the plurality has become singularity and now stand here firmly and fight with me.
6. Rishir uvacha:-
Thatha pravavrutham yudham devya shumbhasya cho bhayo,
Pasyaitham sarva devanam asuranaam cha darunam.
The sage told:-
Afterwards in the presence of all the devas and asuras, a terrible war took place between the two (Shumbha and the Goddess).
7. Saravarshai sithai sasthraisthadha asthraischaiva dharunai,
Thayor yudhamabhooth bhooya sarva loka bayankaram.
A very fearful and terrible war took place between them in which sharp arrows were rained and using other weapons and horrifyingly great arrows
8. Divyanasthrani sathaso mumuche yanyadhambika,
Babhancha thani daithyendra sthath prathi gatha karthrubhi.
Afterwards when the goddess sent several divine arrows in batches of hundreds, Shumbha destroyed them using arrows, which were capable of destroying them.
9. Mukthani thena chasthrani divyani parameshwari,
Banbancha leelayaivogra hoongarocharanadhibhi.
That Goddess Chandika cut the divine arrows sent by Shumbha by her deep breath (Hum) and also playfully.
10. Thatha sara sathair devi machadhayatha so asura,
Saapi that kupitha devi dhanu chicchedha cheshubhi.
Then that Shumbha covered the Goddess with hundreds of arrows and becoming angry due to this, she cut off his bow using her arrows.
11. Chinne dhanushi daithyendra sthadha shakthi madhadade,
Chichechadha devi chakrena thamapyasya kare sthithaam.
When his bow was broken, That Shumbha took in his hand a spear and the goddess cut it with her holy wheel.
12. Thatha gadgamupadhaya sathachandram cha bhanumath,
Abhyadavatha thaam deveem daithyanam adhipeswara.
Then that chief of chiefs of Asuras, Shumbha took a sword and a shield, which shined like hundred moons and sun and ran towards the goddess.
13. Thasya pathatha evasu gadgam chichedha chandika,
Dhanur mukthai shithairbanaischarma charkarakamalam.
Goddess Chandika while he was coming cut off his sword and shield which were reflecting the sun, with arrows sent from her bow.
14. Hathaswa sa thadha daithya chinnadhanwa visaradhi,
Jagraha mudhgaram goram ambika nidhanodhyadha.
Then that Asura, whose horses were killed, whose bow was broken and whose chariot driver was killed took a horrifying mace to kill the goddess.
15. Chichedhaa pathatha thasya mudhgaram nishithai sarai,
Thadapi so abhyadavatham mushti mudhyamya vegavaan.
She cut off the mace of Shumbha who was nearing her with sharp arrows. In spite of that he ran towards the goddess with extended fist.
16. Sa mushtim padayamasa hrudhaye daithya pungava,
Devyastham chapi saa devi thalanorasya thadayath.
That chief of asuras hit the goddess with his fist on her forehead and she slapped him with her palm on his chest.
17. Thalapraharabhi hatho nipapatha maheethale,
Sa daithyaraja sahasa punareva thadosthidha.
That king of asuras fell on the ground due to her slap but recovered and got up fast.
18. Uthpathya cha pragruhyo uchair devim gaganamasthidha,
Thathrapi saa niradhara yuyudhe thena chandika.
That Shumbha jumped caught hold of the goddess and placed her high in the sky but Chandika stayed there without any support and fought with him.
19. Niyudham khe thadha daithyaschandika cha parasparam,
Chakrathu pradhamam yudham muni vismayakarakam.
Then that Asura and goddess Chandika first fought with bare hands on the sky, making the sages aghast.
20. Thatho niyudham suchiram kruthwa thenambhika saha,
Uthpathya bramayamasa chikshepa dharani thale.
After fighting war with bare hands for long time, that goddess lifted him and threw him on the ground.
21. Samkshiptho dharanim prapya mushti mudhyamya vegatha,
Abhyadavatha dushtathma chandika nidhanechaya.
Thus thrown that Asura reached the earth, recovered fast and with a wish to kill the goddess ran towards her with clenched fist.
22. Thamayantham thatho devi sarva daithya janeswaram,
Jagathyam pathayamasa bhithwa soolena vakshasi.
Afterwards that goddess felled him who was the king of all asuras, by tearing his chest with a trident and made him fall on the ground.
23. Sa gathasu papthorvyam devi soolagravikshatha,
Chalayan sakalam pruthweem sabdhi dweepam saparvatham.
That Shumbha torn by the trident of the goddess fell dead on the ground shaking the entire earth with its oceans, islands and mountains.
24. Thatha prasannamakhilam hathe thasmin durathmani,
Jagathswasthyamatheevapa nirmalam cha bhavnnabha.
When the bad one was killed, the entire universe became happy, the world became calmer and the sky became clearer
25. Uthpathamegha solka ye pragasamsthe samam yayu,
Saritho marga vahinyasthadha samsthathra pathithe.
Those clouds, which were comet shaped before Shumbha died, became calm and also all the rivers started flowing in the right direction.
26. Thatho deva gana sarve harsha nirbhara manasa,
Bhabhuvur nihathe thasmin gandharva lalitham Jagu.
Because of his killing, the mind of all the groups of devas was filled with happiness. Gandharwas sang prettily.
27. Avadhayamsthadhai vanyai nanyathu schapsarogana.
Vavu punyasthadha vatha suprabho bhoo divakara.
Similarly another group of devas played musical instruments, apsaras (celestial dancers) danced in-groups, holy wind blew and the sun shone brightly.
28. Jajwaluschagnaya santha santha digjanithaswana.
The fire burnt calmly and the sounds in the different directions also became calm.
Ithi Markandeya purane savarnike manwanthare,
Shumbha Vadho Nama,
This is the tenth chapter in Devi Mahatmya dealing with the killing of Shumbha Occurring in the Savarnika period of Markandeya Purana.